Buttery Soft Pretzel Bites with Spicy Horseradish Sauce

You may also like...

10 Responses

1. Liam Gibbons says:

Lol! You guys are funny! Great post though! I love good ironic pretzel bite first thing in the morning.. with a slight taste of bitter remorse because I have no bacon.

Liam @ buttercarb.blogspot.com.

• Eve Rillette says:

Seriously. I could NOT have said it better myself. Though I did have a tingly reaction to the ironic pretzel first thing in the morning…it left me searching for a tall cup of coffee to wash it down with.

• Maybe we need to make a bacon-wrapped pretzel next time? As if these weren't dirty enough with all the butter, as I ate them, I worked out in my mind how delicious it would be to take the pretzel dough and wrap it around a kosher hot dog. Mmmmm. Now I have to do it.

2. Cucina49 says:

I’m intrigued by the combination of the pretzel and horseradish sauce–it sounds great!

• Cassandra Wellington says:

@Cucina49 Oh, it’s a GOOD one. So good that I feel a little weird eating soft pretzels without nose-burning horseradish on the side.

3. Eric Sondag says:

I barely got four cups of flour into the mix, and I had to add another.25 cup of water to get it to mix. Dough never smoothed out. Is this recipe correct? Should the dough be really dense?

• We test our recipes multiple times, and this one we always use the whole 5 cups. Were you stirring by hand? Because it takes a little time for the flour to absorb the liquid, and a standing mixer helps in that you can let it do its thing. The dough is dense but smooth before it rises, and a little more malleable afterwards – soft enough to roll and shape.

Hit us up at twodirtygirls@gmail.com if you want to troubleshoot this one a little more. Or reply here. We'll talk food with you anywhere 😉

• Eric Sondag says:

Cassandra, thanks for the reply. I used a KitchenAid mixer. The hook kept tearing the dough into hunks, and it never did come together in the bowl. I took it out and shaped it by hand, and after the rise it was much easier to work with. The pretzels turned out great regardless of my flour troubles. I'll keep pounding away at this recipe until I make it work. Is it just me, or does everything anyone writes on this site sound vaguely sexual? haha. Cheers!

• Eric Sondag I am a full believer that climate plays a huge difference in baking, as does sifting flour when measuring it out and knowing the nuances of the flour you're working with (whole wheat works well for this recipe too, but you'd use less flour). If the dough is telling you a little more liquid after mixing the shit out of it, it's totally cool. It's never a soft yeasty dough, and it does indeed go from dense to pliable after rising. Most importantly, I'm glad the puppies still came out tasty.

As for the overt sexual references, you did just say that you'll keep pounding away, so clearly you get the vibe that we've got going here 😉

1. March 25, 2012

[…] pic, tag it as us and post it on Facebook.  Our second winner was the lovely Meredith who made our Buttery Soft Pretzel Bites and her prize was the opportunity to ask us any three questions of her choosing.  Blush we may […]